The deal is sealed and I am now the extremely happy joint tenant of a beautiful allotment plot. I say beautiful, actually it's extremely overgrown, but potentially it's very beautiful. It 's really quite big as it's a joint venture with some of my friends and it has it's own trees, an apple, a pear and a plum, we think, but we'll have to wait till they all get leaves to be sure. I'll take some photos when I go up there next, so I can post them. I'm so excited about it, unfortunately I won't be able to go up again for a few weeks though, because I'm in Prague next weekend and it's too dark after work during the week. I've got plenty of reading to do in the mean time though. To be honest I haven't got the foggiest at the moment.
We were shown around this morning by the entire allotment association commitee, as they'd just had a meeting and they seem a really lovely lot, it seems quite a little comunity down there. They have bonfire parties and barbeques in the summer and they have a hut where you can drink tea (and whisky seemingly) and eat biscuits! I'm extremely impressed. They all seem to have a knowledge of gardening that they seem only to pleased to pass on too. Which is probably the best way to learn really, that and the practical stuff. "You can't plough a field by turning it over in you mind" and all that. It's sooooo exciting!
I can't really get my head round the fact I am going to Prague on Thursday. It's the plane thing really, I've never been in a plane before, or any other vehicle that leaves the ground for that matter. I've been abroad a few times to France and Amsterdam but always on the ferry. When I was young our family holidays were always spent at the seaside and all my adult life I always seem to be too skint! I love the English countryside (with a passion) so just getting out of the city is always a holiday to me. It is admittedly a bit pathetic though, I've hardly seen any of the world.
Prague looks like it's an amazing place. Although I know very little about it. Not sure why we even decided to go there really. We've decided we're going to get ourselves a bit of culture though, looks like the sort of place where culture isn't too expensive. A little worried about how cheap the beer is though it may be a little distracting!
I've started reading Metemorphosis, it turns out that the place I'm staying in has a Franz Kafka room, I'm hoping we'll end up in it, although I don't fancy waking up as beetle! Enjoying the book though.
Oooh my Sunday dinner is nearly ready so I must be off. Hope you've all had a pleasant weekend. Bye!

4 Comments:
Hello Moonpie! Your description of the garden and the commitee made me hanker for spring. Really, the details reminded me of my uncle who had been an avid gardener. I have a lemon tree in a pot from him, which came from a pip from a lemon that had been refrigerated during freight and further still for its days in the grocery store. He grew everything: vegetables, herbs, flowers. Each complimented the other, with flora keeping certain insects from ruining the tomatoes. So, it will make sense to ask someone, what kind of flower compliments the squash, to keep the bugs off? And some flowers can add flavor--another reason to ask. I guess an herb can really influence the soil. Anyway, I wish I could show you my uncle's book, one of them, that he refered to and left little notes inside.
Enjoy Prague! Jeepers, the winter break and now...wow!
-g+bb
7:30 PM
Hiya Gina,
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to plant some flowers up there to give it a homely feel too. Sounds like your uncle really knew what he was doing. I've got a lot of things to learn for certain.
I'm longing for spring too, just a little more light will do me, so I can get up there in the evenings. I always get so impatient at this time of the year!
10:52 PM
This all sounds wonderful!!!The land,
mmmm,I would love it. Prague sounds good too. Have a safe and fun trip, I am happy for you. AFA the plane, I love flying. The take off is rad! When they fire up the jets, and you feel the power of it. Those smaller planes scare me, though. I've flown in those little 14 seater planes, the turbulence made me hit my head on the ceiling of the plane
once! :o
9:35 PM
Just about to sign off when I came across your reference to Metamorphosis. Stunning isn't it? I never would have thought such a story could ever translate to the screen, but I was proved wrong when it was filmed for television in the UK. The main actor was that guy who lays down bleeding throughout Reservoir Dogs. (Can't remember his name). And he did the whole thing WITHOUT make-up or any kind of special effect. He just contorted his body as he scuttled about. I keep hoping the BFI will release it on DVD one day.
Ian Gordon.
7:08 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home